A new pair in my continuing series the long and the short of it. Spring has taken hold of my eye and this yellow pair are getting some well deserved attention. The series as a whole is begining to look garden like with a spring explosion of color.
in the studio
The bright white paper stared directly at me yesterday. I took my used blue tape and masked out an area to begin laying doen a background color. I reuse my blue tape, it gives me more organic line.
After sipping a cup a joe I began applying the ground. It took three passes to get a coverage. The two panels are ready to be drilled and bolted together. Then I'll start creating my graphite grid.
So pleased with the results so far. It's almost enough.
Got the spring green on all my new surfaces.
This is a surprise color for me. Not a natural choice for mt but I'm working with it. Eight new pieces to start drawings. I have them all set up on one of my side work surfaces so I can work on small pieces in between working on my larger two commissions.
Looking forward to loading up some pens and laying down some marks this coming week. I'll be posting images or progess here in the journal.
Lot's of prep work in my studio this week.
I took out a saw to do some cutting.
Here's a peek at 8 new 4 x 5 inch basswood panels gessoed and drying. Can't wait to get making drawings on these pieces. I first used this material for my radical warp series of drawings.
Mounting paper to panels I was rusty. But now I'm back up to well oiled machine. These two panels are ready for me to begin my new commission. I'll bolt the two panels together and draw on them as though they are one contiguous piece. The two panels are really to make them more managable for transportation.
My color tests and ink viscosity proved my thoughts to be true.
This weekend I lay down a colorfield and wait for it to dry. Then the drawing will begin.
Got another sheet of paper mounted.
Now to wait for it to dry and then trim.
Then the drawing can begin.
I made some adjustments to the mounting process and got excellent results. I also didn't get impatient. Waiting for it to dry. One more sheet to mount this week.
My most recent work in progress consists of acrylic ink on Yupo. I love the milky translucency of this synthetic paper. I love the way light glints off the ink. I have been working on a series of small measurement drawings over the past few weeks.
These are two of the drawings I recently made and happened to stack on top of the other. A happy surprise. I'm not really sure if I want to give in to this stacking possibility but I'm working wit the series to see if they could be the focus of my show in June.
Friday was my first studio day in weeks.
These are two of the drawings I made in the measurements series the first of 2016. I'm planning a large series that can be hung together to create a larger piece.
I'm deciding on the hues now and plan to draw quite a number of small pieces.
This is the start.
It's been weeks since I spent time in my studio.
But today I got some time to be there. Be there. I began by lighting a candle and incense. Then I walked around my worktable and slowly began to select tools that would be used and those that would be put away. I hung unfinished pieces on the walls to revisit at another time. I circled my worktable until the area was ready for me to make drawings.
I had selected my pens, my ink, my substrate.